Hamilton: Most intense competition ever

http://motogp-f1-races.blogspot.comLewis Hamilton is loving what he feels is the most intense World title fight he has experienced.

For the third time in the four years Hamilton finds himself firmly in the hunt for a Formula One crown he agonisingly missed out on by a point in the 2007 before triumphing a year later in the most dramatic of circumstances.

The difference on this occasion is there are five drivers fighting to be champion, and with the level of competition of a far higher standard compared to 2007 and 2008.

With six races remaining ahead of Sunday's Italian Grand Prix, Hamilton leads by a slender three points from the Red Bull's Mark Webber.

Webber's team-mate Sebastian Vettel, who may have made mistakes this year, remains a dangerous opponent and is 31 points adrift.

The other two contenders, McLaren team-mate Jenson Button and Ferrari's Fernando Alonso, like Hamilton, both know what it takes to become Champion.

"I've not been in this position before where so many drivers have been in the hunt," said Hamilton.

"It's a World Championship, the most intense competition I've ever experienced, and I love it.

"I'm racing against Mark, who has great experience, and two world champions, so I expect nothing but the best from them. Therefore I have to be at my best."

Arguably, Hamilton's own experiences of losing and winning a title in the most remarkable of circumstances stand him in far greater stead than any of his rivals this year.

"In terms of my own experience I've suffered the lowest of the low and enjoyed the highest of the high," added Hamilton.

"I've been to both ends of the spectrum and learned from different situations.

"In 2007 I made a lot more mistakes, and although I've grown a lot, I've still many more to make.

"But I believe that to this point I'm a much more whole and solid driver than in 2007 and 2008."

An easy assumption to make is that because of the gap Hamilton and Webber command over Vettel, they can perhaps afford to play a far more tactical game over the remaining races.

It is a suggestion Hamilton categorically dismisses, believing to do so would be a dangerous game that could easily backfire.

"You would be wrong to assume that because there are so many points available," said Hamilton.

"It would be easy to adopt that frame of mind, go into a race and the next thing you know I'm in that position.

"So I don't feel any different compared to the last race. For me the gap is nothing, we're all equal.

"That's my approach, that I still need to get as many points as I can."


No comments:

Post a Comment